Saturday, November 8, 2014

Happiness is….when your heart is filled to the brim



As many of you know, I was married to Joe yesterday.  We have been together for almost eight years and I have grown to love him with all my heart and soul.  Two weeks ago, he brought me to one of my favorite childhood places in Morgan Park in Glen Cove where I grew up near the beach. I used to call it my castle. He was so filled with emotion when he dropped to one knee and I was stunned and my eyes welled up with tears of joyfulness.

We spoke of marriage in the past but the idea and the ideal seemed far away.  After the death of my son, my soul was filled with “the horrible nothing that all parents feel at the death of their child;” an emptiness almost too difficult to describe; a void that seemed endless. 

There is an old proverb that says, “When your heart is empty; that is the time something wonderful can come into your life and fill your heart with passion and joy if you let it.” 

If walking on air were a reality; I’d been at least ten feet off the ground today.  Although our day to day lives will look very similar to the day to day before we said our vows; we still have changed (for the better.)

The most wonderful part has been the reaction of our friends and family; the outpouring of love; the congratulations; the prayers of love and joy from everyone has been overwhelming.  It’s amazing how this simple act of commitment has engendered such a positive reaction from so many.

When people say marriage is becoming a thing of the past; don’t you believe it!  Marriage is still and will always be the act of true compassion, love, commitment and joy that can be shared by so many.  The joy I feel today is a composite picture of the many encouraging reactions we have seen and heard from others.

Thank you friends and family for being so wonderful in your responses to our news. 
So remember, when your heart is so empty that is the time God can fill it with something special if you let him…just look at me…

Happiness is being married to my Joey.

1 comment: