Monday, October 22, 2012

In the wee small hours of the morning...


You know that time of the night when it’s morning to you but not to any one else?  That’s the time that I have a myriad of conversations with people in my head.  I argue, I love, I cry, I think….too much.

It seems to happen more now that I am older and I am positive that this effort is a totally useless activity.  I say all the things to the ghosts of people present, past and probably future that I want to say, need to say, feel obligated to say.  Now there is nothing wrong with this except for the fact that I assume what these people would say back to me and I am usually wrong in determining their responses.

Our perceptions of what people think is usually full of misunderstandings and so we torture ourselves with what we believe other people are thinking with very little evidence to support our beliefs.  Example:  I haven’t heard from my friend in a while so she must be angry with me for some forgotten promise?  Not true, she is just busy with her life as I am as  I learned yesterday.

Nighttime presents some unusual opportunity for these one-sided conversations. The nighttime darkness actually seems to lend itself to this suspension of belief and allows my mind to wander off; spiral off in multiple directions down alleyways of directionless and really mindless channels.

After I argue all of my pointless points with the ever unpresent, I feel no better, no more resolved than anyone would sporting a one-sided conversation should.  So why do this?  Well this self-inflicted game is no more controllable than assuming you can make the sun rise faster. 

What I have learned recently is how to break the syndrome when I realize that I am caught in this web of regret and pointless offline discussion thread.  I reach across the bed and put my arm around Joe.  Touching him, feeling his warmth and comfort seems to relax me; in fact, release me from this struggle and makes me realize that all I have to worry about is making his lunch for work…is that bad?

1 comment: