Saturday, May 17, 2014

What’s in a name? What’s in a number? Here are ten thoughts I have about growing older and maybe wiser…



I am sixty-two….62….6 decades plus two more years but what does that mean?  Numbers are supposed to add up but how does age equivocate to life passage? Well I am not sure about the full definition because I have learned to count my years in terms of learning rather than time travel.

What have I learned so far? 

Number one:  Well, I am not always right; this was a tough one for me cause I balanced my days on being right and now I know the truth, I am sometimes wrong.  Well this is not really a big discovery but I have been fighting it for decades and now I have come to peace with it.

Number two:  the older I get, the more I feel:  tired, a little arthritic, a little less likely to get up and exercise, and a little less “get up and go.”  I assume my body is a little tired so I read more; in fact, I read a lot and that’s a good thing;  “Game of Thrones”, anyone?

Number three:  I don’t hear my mother’s voice in my head.  I hear all these women say that they do but I don’t, does that make me different or not the norm?  Guess what, I don’t care.

Number four:  I care less and less and less what other people think of me or anything for that matter.  I leave others to their own thoughts and definitions of life; I like mine; it’s easier not to care of others and their persnickety ways.  (Not my mother’s word in case you were wondering).

Number five:  I have rid myself of those others who burden my life.  I am not “everyone’s cup of tea” (my mother did say this but so did everyone in her time) and so I leave those others who don’t care for me to themselves to stew and talk about each other without me.  I assume it makes them happier and me a lot happier.

Number six:  I love my son more than I love any other person and I think that is how it should be.

Number seven:  I accept my mistakes and move on and I mean move on.  So what if I had not lived my life perfectly (have you or anyone else?)  I just don’t feel its necessary to relive or review my imperfections.

Number eight:  Sunny days are better than rainy ones and there are always more sunny days than rainy ones; I haven’t actually counted but I think I am right about this so if it’s raining, wait the sun will come back.  Patience is a virtue worth cultivating.

Number nine:  I like certain activities:  writing, riding my bike, being with Joe, seeing my friends, looking at happy pictures of my past, playing with The Zeff, reading, and driving to the beach so I think I am going to do more of these and less of other things.

Number ten:  I prefer foods that taste good, that are good for me, and ones that may actually prolong my life because I love living regardless of the pain or anxiety that life may direct my way; remember rule number eight; the sun will shine again and if not, I hear you can buy a special lamp that gives you the equivalent of pure sunshine.

Be happy, be sunny, and do what you like in life that makes you happy; don’t wait until you are 62….

1 comment:

  1. Pam, I now work at an Independent Living complex. Every one of your "10" makes a great deal of sense to me.......more so now than ever. One thing is for sure, be thankful for EVERY day you can get up and get going even if it takes a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete