Friday, November 14, 2014

Happiness is…a rose by any other name



So, we’re married for one whole week and many people have weighed in on our life changes; friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors; of course when you write a blog, that’s what you should expect.

What I didn’t expect is how many people would vicariously feel the delight and love created by our union. Two lives that have been joined as one based on love and mutual respect. The look on the faces of our friends and family has been incredible; their personal responses; the true tears of joy; the genuine emotion expressed has been staggering.

I am old fashioned and so is Joe.  We knew what marriage meant to us and all marriages are a private affair to some extent; a personal expression of love and respect but the reaction from our close friends and family was astonishing  with barely an exception..

At first some of them were stunned; asking if we were sure about this life change. For Joe and I, there were no reservations but for some others; there were a few caution flags thrown.  Is it too soon after the death of Jeremy? You two are fine as you are; why get married?

It is true that we were fine as we were but we are, in fact, better for our marriage than even I would have expected.

I am in the process of changing my legal name which is a fairly substantial effort.  Once again; most of our community said; you don’t need to do this but that’s not why I am.

In my world and time, when you marry someone; you should give your entire self to him as he has to me.  The small effort of showing that I belong only to him is the least I can do to show my love and affection.

When you truly love someone; that emotion; that feeling is added to your heart in such as way that it doesn’t disrupt your previous loves and life experiences; it enhances them; it rekindles them; there is nothing like the feeling of true love and the smile that goes with it...

Getting married was starting a new chapter in our lives.  It has awakened strong memories; good ones; a rebirth of our lives together; an enhancement of our souls.

My mother always told me that love was never wrong and commitment is the signature of strength and fidelity. So here I am: in my 60's smiling....happiness is marrying Joe.



1 comment:

  1. Hmm - it didn't occur to me to wonder why get married? It just occured to me to be very, very happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete