Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cancer Strikes Such a Nerve in All of Us


After my recent blog describing my son and sister’s diagnoses of cancer and what it has meant to me, I received literally hundreds of responses.  I was overwhelmed with the messages of support but more importantly, I was stunned with the number of response stories of cancer in other people’s lives and what it has meant to them.

An oncologist told me recently that we all have cancer cells or irregular cells in our bodies and there are a myriad of factors in each of us: genetics, eating habits, and immunity factors, which drive the potential for these irregular cells to grow and be labeled as cancer.  So I ask, is there more cancer around today or are we just more aware?

It seems that we all know someone close to us with cancer and I began to wonder why.  Is it because we are living longer and our immune systems seem to wane as we age?  Is it because we eat so much junk?  Is it because we forget to exercise?  Is it because we inherited it?  The answer seems to be yes or all of the above and none of the above.

If you don’t have a loved one diagnosed with cancer then you are the exception these days and count yourself very lucky.  In my age group of the 60 something’s, I can’t find someone who doesn’t have cancer in their close circle.  What’s important to glean from this factor is not fear but strength.  The more cancer appears in our medical universe, the more research, surgical improvements, and general health improvements there are as a result.  Remember when AIDS was a death notice? 

Although there needs to be so many more improvements: obviously the best would be the clear prevention of the multiple layer generic description known as cancer; science and the medical community have made many advancements to prolong life for those afflicted.  What strikes me as funny is the fact that cancer is such a broad based description of multiple diseases which are extremely unique and definable in so many other terms.

Cancer makes us all recognize the fragility of life; the importance of the quality of life; and the current limitations of the medical establishment.  With more genetic testing identifying prominent factors that encourage cancer to grow in each of us; one has to wonder if these mutations of cells is escapable or an obvious result of aging.  Now that we can improve our life force chances with the early detection of cancer cells, one has to speculate as to why we all don’t get tested on a periodic basis to determine our hidden cell damage.  I guess it must be too expensive and I have heard from some people that they just don’t want to know if they possess the gene that may cause cancer.

I remember in college, a thousand years ago, when one evening when we were pulling an all nighter supposedly studying and someone waxed philosophic and asked each of us, “Would you want to know when you were going to die?”  I can clearly recall my answer as “No.”  I was concerned that such information would dominate my life and make me think of nothing else.  For me, this would be true; I would be obsessed with such information. What I would prefer to know is do I have a time bomb in me that could go off in the near future? Could I prevent the bomb from exploding if I just did something different in my life to prevent it?  Well maybe and that’s the rub.  We don’t know what really prevents cancer is some and not others.  We only know what to do in hindsight.

So for today, I will exercise, eat better, and wonder about my genes donated by my ancestors and be as vigilant as I can or just eat chocolate instead; that seems to work too.  I guess we all have to decide for ourselves; most of us just prefer not to think, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment