Wednesday, November 14, 2012

When is too old to live alone?


The older I get, the more I realize that my days of independence are dwindling.  Both of my parents are deceased but my significant other’s mother, one I refer to as mom, is finding life in her own home more complex than before but mostly for us.

We worry constantly and she laughs it off with her usual alacrity.  I think her goal is to die in her own home and why shouldn’t she feel this way?  Her friends and neighbors are there for her; her family members make regular visits; but is this enough and is this reasoning correct?

We all want to ensure that our wishes are followed as we age but are we making the correct decisions and are we thinking right?  The older I get, the more determined I get but I have noticed that I am not always correct about what I am thinking.  I have started to perceive that stubbornness creeps into my mind that defrays the former astute logic that once replaced these same thoughts.

Each week on TV, I hear about senior, senior citizens who drive long after their reflexes should allow them to which results in them  doing permanent damage to others all in the name of  independence. Which is right?  I always think you err on the side of logic; on what’s good for the general population as compared to what’s right for just me but when should I make that determination or is it something my son and/or friends will do?

We start our lives being dependent upon others totally….are we meant to end our lives the same way?  I am a part of the baby boomer generation; a large group of independent beings full of pride and quite capable of running our own lives until we are not able.  When does that happen and will I know it or does it just creep up on you like a bad chill in the night.

I have always believed that my brain was my best asset and that was all I needed to bring me happiness but what good is a fine brain trapped in a useless vessel that doesn't respond to everyday commands? 

I want to remain self aware.  I do not want to be a burden to my son or others.  I want to be fiercely independent.  Please grant me the reason to know when I need help…


No comments:

Post a Comment