Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I think I am becoming a state park geek…


For the past few days, I have been visiting various state parks on Long Island and examining the wealth of opportunity offered by these striking outdoor spaces. The rationale that I offer for this new found love of state environments relates to the fact that I once was a runner. My knees are not what they used to be and instead of running, I now have to walk.  The audacity of it all!

If I have to walk then I want to have the nicest surroundings I can find and I am not averse to spending a little (a lot) of money on gas to get to a picturesque place to do my cardio.

What I did not realize is that there are so many offerings near my New York home and they are beautiful, free with my NY Passport pass, and have so many different venues; enough to satisfy my every whim I think for visual stimuli to support the indignant aspects of the walking issue.

The first thing I did was to download the app for my iPhone.  It’s called “Oh Ranger!  NY State Parks”.  Surprisingly it’s an excellent app and serves the purpose of any park visitor.  I can quantify and qualify my park visits by numerous factors including but not limited to hiking, biking, water views, shaded trails, etc.

I clearly prefer parks that have water views like the Great Bay, the Long Island Sound and more.  I also like parks that allow pets so I have options, many options.

I have decided that since I am a walker that I needed to beef up my “walk” to make it more enjoyable.  Even though the surroundings are fabulous, I need more incentive to get out there each day.  I have loaded a specific music selection on my iPhone that encourages walking rather than running and I wear shoes that also encourage walking rather than running but what I really have found most agreeable about these newly orchestrated exercise units is how I walk.  I sing (very loudly and probably very badly) and I dance rather than just walk.  Sometimes I strut like I did when I was a high school majorette.  I can tell that the people that pass me are amused at my unusual cardio experience but they are all smiling and waving at me (even from their cars).

Now you might think this is bothersome to me to be so recognized during the privacy of my exercise routine but, in fact, it has the opposite effect and makes me even more enthusiastic.  My dancing has gotten better since I usually listen to Santana and my signing, well, that won’t get better but I sing along to Frank Sinatra favorites. The combination of music, dance, and beautiful surroundings really brighten my day and keep me healthy. 

One final note on this issue of cardio activity; when I do my search for the park I wish to visit, I also look for the nearest outlet or strip mall that has some of my favorite stores.  If I am not too sweaty or poor, I go right to the mall for some retail therapy to complete my well rounded day.  The interesting thing is I actually buy less and browse more all the while still humming some of my favorite Sinatra tunes.  So I guess you’d say that while tightening my abs, I also seem to be tightening my wallet simultaneously.  Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment