Friday, September 21, 2012

Intimate conversations just aren’t the same after age 60 or are they?


I suppose it’s a good thing that we can talk about our private and personal feelings as we do.  I mean isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be in an intimate relationship?

But what once was the focus of love and tender reminiscences has respectfully been replaced more with personal bodily functions than intimate dreams for the future.  Sharing after age 60 is different but still respectable and important.

All of my bodily functions seem to be evolving at this age but since this is the first time I’ve been 60; it’s really nice to have a partner in life who is 61 and who can pave the way for me in understanding my life changes.

I am an avid exerciser and former runner as you may recall.  I am just amazed though that my body is no longer reacting as it used to.  Yes, I can get very stimulated  by the endorphins supplied through exercise but instead of being so upbeat for hours afterward,  I find I am tired, yes tired, even though I have severely cut down both my mileage and the intensity of the workout.

I look forward to the possibility of regular bowel movements as a part of my daily routine (who would have thought that this would be true) and we consider it a victory when we are both regular.  We even have pet names for the descriptions of our daily movements including a PPP or a “picture perfect poop” which is an excellent the way to start the day for sure.

This is not to say that we don’t celebrate the “other” aspects that a man and woman should share and we do but the spectrum of intrapersonal sharing has just changed so we can navigate this new phase of life together. 

It’s nice to know that I can ask him anything and he will give me an honest answer (even if I would like a sugar coated one instead.)  I do have the sense to stay away from the dangerous questions like, “do I look fat in this?”  do I look fat at all?” “is this the right thing to spend money on?”   These questions are not about intimacy but insecurity and we tend to be too honest with each other to wonder what the other thinks about foolish questions like that.  We reserve our questions for more important life changing ones like: “do I look as old as her?” “are my arms too flabby to wear this sleeveless top” or my favorite, “do you know where my phone is?”

One of the most important intimacies at our age that is not sexual or sensual is the one where we are not afraid to share our inner fears.  We know each other well and it is more than comforting to share your inner fears about how much we have forgotten as compared with what we used to know; how much weaker we feel than we used to, and how comforting it is to know that we’re not alone in this process.  Having someone to really share with and who looks forward to seeing you each morning is the key and I look forward to each sunrise because of him and our ability to share truthfully and tenderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment