Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Would you pick up a penny on the street?


Is the entire world of buy and sell today negotiable? Or is there just an ignorant conspiracy that just doesn’t care and if you don’t challenge it, you lose.

I find that I can no longer stop myself from reading purchase receipts.  I have watched others, mostly seniors on fixed incomes, do this for years.  Some mistakes seem to be penny bag types while others are egregious errors. 

Don’t know what a penny bag is?  When I was much younger and a new principal, I was told about the penny bag concept by a retired finance person.  She explained that the monies collected in a school on a daily basis never seemed to come out right so she kept a penny bag to add or subtract from the daily totals to make sure things (the bottom line) were correct.  This was shocking to me and I was happy that she was retired because isn’t the bottom line, the bottom line?  Doesn’t my checkbook always have to be exact?

We have raised a group of money collectors, credit card chargers, who cannot add, are too lazy to care, or rely too heavily on the machines in front of them to even “think” in any way.  The first shock came many years ago when McDonalds changed all of their registers to pictograms of the food without word identifiers.  It was their expectation that someone who applied and worked at McDonalds could not read or make change.  The problem is they were right to remove this thinking requirement from their staff.

What have we done to the current generation?  Considering the fact that this type of slippage in the education system was orchestrated by our generation, who is to blame?

I prefer to scan my own food at the checkout because I can watch the prices more carefully but who sets up the scanner and am I fooling myself that this is better?  Who calibrates the scale upon which I place my fruit? Who sets the codes for the bar reader?

We are in trouble and unless we challenge purchases on a regular basis, we lose money everyday.  I often resented the people in the line ahead of me who challenged something and then we all waited while the blinking light had to be reset to correct some small error, or so I thought.

It’s not just about the money but, to me, today, it’s more about the deterioration of our society; the educational deficiencies noticed on a daily basis.  And responsibility for this deficiency, what of that? I would have been mortified as a teenager if I gave the wrong change and I had to calculate it in my head. This generation just looks back at you with a blank stare not even understanding the value of the money you’re discussing.

I have moved recently and so I am stimulating the economy. I have purchased a number of items that needed to be returned.  The return was no problem in any of the stores I frequented, no questions asked.  But when I tried to explain that there was a qualitative problem with the item and I was returning it for a very specific reason; I received a blank “I don’t really care” stare and an unfeeling, sign this receipt look.

So I say to you all, challenge each receipt, hold the stores and their employees to task, or you may be told that your bill is more than it should be.  Maybe if we hold them accountable, things will change???

1 comment:

  1. We are from a generation that was financially poor but raised with the idea that you had to work for everything starting with your education. We saw how our mother struggled and we knew we would do better, although our struggles would be different. No one in those times tried to make the path easier. No one tried to equalize the way because we were poor, having a single parent mother or women. We did it the old fashioned way, we earned it.

    It is very hard today to see the world today through our expectations that are as much a part of us as our eye color. We have gone from a work environment where you were not permitted personal calls to one where your cashier is playing zombies scanning your purchases. We have gone from a business environment which insisted on a receipt to one where there is no questions asked.


    ReplyDelete