Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 10: How to handle a woman; there's a way said the wise old man (do you remember this song?)

Women have to be the most difficult creatures on this earth to comprehend.  We are tied to a complicated set of rules that only we know about (and which constantly change) and as men and children attempt to navigate them, we set them up for regular periods of failure sometimes intentionally, I might add.


In order for me to be happy,  I have to be sure that my surrounding family, friends and colleagues understand the rules and obey them.  Cases in point: have you ever tried picking out significant furniture items with a loved one?  Or have you ever set up technology together?  Do your kids wonder why you cry at commercials on occasion? Do you friends wonder why you change your opinion on something and then seem to change back (I thought you liked my shoes)?


Women are vacillating and fascinating as a group but no one really understands us because we don't understand ourselves.  We are emotionally based, most often, and perceive things on this emotional basis which is a teetering board keeping us off balance as well.  


We are also hurt magnets. We tend to believe that everything negative that seems to occur is usually our fault because we harbor such negative feelings from within. (This is a monumental ego issue; as if we had the ability to control all factors in the world, what are we thinking?)


As we operate on this emotional freeway, we are so busy trying to examine where every other car is going  before we even decide where we want to go.  As I have been writing this daily memoir of what makes me happy everyday, I realized something,  I am not happy every day.  Is that a revelation or an admission of guilt?  I think both.


I want to be happy, filled with smiles, and pleasant thoughts but reality slaps me in the face and thwarts the opportunity.  So I would like to revise my definition of happiness for today.


Happiness means you take the time to recognize the good things even if you cannot muster a smile or giggle to show those near you that you are happy.  Because, we are happy, you know, we just need time to reflect on it and see whether you think so first.

1 comment:

  1. Have you noticed how the younger generation of women are so much more self relient and tend to think more like men in the work force? I marvel at my daughters..they don't get teary eyed at everything, have their own opinions, and don't mind telling me that "it's really not my business." LOL! Good for them...I was never like that. I think our reactions are do to the time we were brought up in. Women were just coming into the REAL workforce and it took a long, long time to take us seriously, therefore, we didn't take ourselves seriously.

    ReplyDelete