Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 8: What do the movies teach us about happiness

When I think of happiness, I think of my movies and how much I love them. Whenever I travel, I keep at least 8 movies on my iPad ( if you want to know what they are, just ask),I keep them at the ready  just in case I get sad, bored, need to be bolstered, or just need a friend.  Movies are like friends, old ones, that come back to you just at the right time when you need their comfort, excitement, or advice.


I have learned a lot from movies throughout my life and I believe some of this is right:


1. Prince Charming needed to know that more than one woman could have fit into that glass slipper; he just didn't look long enough.  The older I get, the more I realize that this concept of the "only one" can happen again and again.  The more we grow (older), the more we grow personally, we develop connectors and receptors on us that draw us towards new Cinderellas as well as new Prince Charmings; we may just have the chance to find a new "one" with whom we may be very happy.


2. The reason Prince and Princesses needed to have arranged marriages is because they built too many roadblocks around themselves.  Who wants to cross a moat full of alligators; scale a wall 30 feet high, cut through brambles taller than oaks, or slay a dragon or two just to meet a girl.  If we want to be loved and we all do, we need to move out of the castle into a a nice garden apartment that's accessible by lots of guys, not just those on white steeds with large swords.  Really, do you want a guy that carries an open weapon around these days?


3. Don't set up impossible options, if you meet someone and fall in love, make it work.  Don't say you'll meet in 6 months later at the top of a famous building, be with them now, love doesn't wait. New love has a timer on it, if it isn't cultivated probably, it seems to wither away.


4.  Look seriously at your relationship(s). If you suspect something is wrong, then it probably is.  Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.  Deal with it head on;  even if it means you may lose your significant other; than so be it.  I see so many people in bad relationships because they are afraid to let go.  Being alone is not so bad and remember to find an apartment without a moat.


5. Be forgiving; all the really strong relationships are based on forgiveness.  If you meet one of those people and you know who they are,someone who calls themselves a "truth teller" , beware.  These people tend to be incapable of forgiveness or introspection for that matter, so run.  The only truth they tell is someone else's truth and none of us need someone following us around spouting the truth as they see it.  These people are incapable of looking inward only outward.  The truth is, the truth can be painful.  We all make mistakes on a regular basis and unless there is a valuable lesson to be learned from it,the truth is best left to be put in the right place by the owner like a rose from a high school dance left in the pages of an old novel where only the few could find it.


Some memories are flotation devices and some are baggage.  I will keep my bags packed and since I am headed to the beach today,  I will only bring my flotation devices,  how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment