Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 4: Farmville

OK,  I admit it,  I play Farmville.  There are over 3 million people around the world  who do play it but almost 2, 999,999 won't admit it.  I like it, it's soothing, like knitting.  I feel my little critters need me;  I don't like letting my crops wither (that's a bad thing for non farmers) and it gives me some place to be at varying times of the day where I feel needed.


I'm a good farmer and more importantly, I am a good "neighbor."  Good neighbors fertilize your crops, send you important gifts to finish imaginary collections and most importantly, earn you points to move up the farmer ladder of heightened responsibility and fame.


I play a lot with my old high school buddies, most of whom I barely knew in high school but find we have a lot in common at this point in our lives.  Isn't that interesting?  And I mean both men and women.  It's funny how fragile we were in high school and now we are grazing in shared fields on the internet so intimately.


I went to my 40th high school reunion a couple of years back. I saw some amazing things: people who were genuinely  friendly, caring, and interested in talking to each other.  Another amazing fact, we kept in touch afterwards (the true sign that someone is interested in a real relationship).  Are we clinging to each other in memories of our lost youth?  I actually think not, there's more to this newer better wiser relationship issue than that because the truth is we all weren't full fledged friends in high school.


What is a friend, a Facebook companion, a Farmville neighbor? It is someone who is a casual observer without the threat of a real relationship yet caring enough to send wild emails that are passed around the internet like mental fodder. I like Facebook.  It may have been invented for the college set at first but it has been taken over by my generation and we are winning the battle of staying "in touch".  The more tentacles your life has, the more secure you feel in this world whether in person or online.  


I like being a farmer, this Brooklyn girl is good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment