Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 3

Music has always been an essential part of my life, especially popular music from my intense years, the 1950's and the 1960's.  When I run,  I always have a nice mixture of current and past music to listen to but when I want to feel...better...I just listen to older rock and roll.

Having spent years at the Fillmore east, Murray the K shows at the Brooklyn Auditorium and a myriad of concerts too numerous to mention, I attach a lot of significance to music that has shaped or interfered in my life course.  I say interfered because sometimes in the past,  I did "stoopid stuff" as my best friend would say following the "suggestion" from the music.  Example,  "For Your Love" by the Yardbirds drove me to invite my 10th grade boyfriend, Dennis, over for some excessive touching one day.  Don't ask me why but it did!

There are 2 reasons for my continued interest in this kind of music:  the game and the memories.  The game is a simple one;  my husband (he's not by paper but by open choice we live together) and I listen to Sirius satellite radio and without looking at the screen; guess the year and the group or singer. It's a lot of fun, it really makes you think, and yes, I'm really good at it.

There are times when I just don't know where my memories of this music come from; it just appears in my mind.  I particularly like the obscure ones, the one hit wonders.  What my husband and I realized when we started playing this game is that he knows so many different ones than I do and how well matched we are as a team.(If there ever was a music trivia contest for the 50's and 60's).

We laugh a lot; he gives me instant credit for an amazing memory and I like that...because it is credit that I can believe in.  Sometimes, I can even recall the B side of the 45...and the color of the label.  Of course, that information is not on the radio, so you'll just have to believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment