Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 6:Getting Ready for a NYC summer "The Death Watch" syndrome

It's almost summer and the death watch notices are coming out in the droves. Sound morbid much? Well a death watch is a concert given by, you guessed it, performers who you may never see again because they may "be gone."  


I know we laugh at this concept but dying from "old age" is getting closer to home for me.  I remember the time Jim and I went to see Sinatra.  His voice was gone but those blue eyes told me that he had tremendous life.  I squirmed in my seat with delight as he looked at each and every woman in the music hall or at least he looked at me, in my heart.


I thought, I'll never get that old and yet now I realize that I am thinking more and more about my mortality.  Seinfeld said, people go to Florida to die when he talked to Kramer about moving to Boca. I know where Boca is, I've been to Boca, and now I live (part of the year) in Florida very close to Boca.  By the way, it's a lovely and expensive place!


So what is making me happy with this scenario?  When you start to get to "this age" the new precipice of older days, you start to realize how young you actually are on the inside.


It's interesting when you pass a window or random mirror in a store and you catch a glimpse of yourself and ask, who is that "older woman" because on the inside you feel great, young, unchanged.  Where is a picture of Dorian Gray when you need one?


Why does our brain do that to us, go schizo and make us believe we are younger than we are?  I think its a mechanism of safety, security, one that helps us get out of bed every day.  I, for one, am thrilled that my mind says; run, dance, love, because you are still...32?


I have picked 32 as my mental age for a number of reasons:


1.  my son was born at age 30 and I love that (my best achievement and my best gift to this world)
2. I was living with my,then, best friend, my ex husband
3. I was dancing, ballroom and Latin, and having lots of fun
4. I loved my job
5. I loved where I was living
6.  I had a good friend base
7. I was so physically and mentally able


These are all critical factors in understanding my current mental age.  We all need to know what motivates us in life.  I am motivated by my love for the special people in my world.  Because my world right now is full of love, thank you Joey and Jeremy,I can relate to the changes in the real world: the graying hair, the not so perfect skin on my neck (why does that have to happen) and realize that these imperfections of the body are irrelevant to the perfection of the mind and soul.


And so I am happy to know that the mind and heart win over the body and that is how it should be. Thank you God for making this so.  Thanks for bringing my mind into the place, my Eden, my heaven, my place of love and refuge long before someone is planning my death watch....

No comments:

Post a Comment