Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 13: Life would be so easy if we only knew what to do with it

There are too many things going on in my life right now and I think it is difficult to catch my breath today.  I know you all know the feeling and to establish a happiness moment is really testing my skills today but here goes.


Whenever I have these moments it's like a small avalanche is beginning in my mind and the tumbling rocks start small and manageable at first and then they get larger and larger.  In fact, they all seem to fall right on my chest and make it difficult to breathe.(Know the feeling?)  I have learned that there are several relaxation techniques that work for some people.  My ex practices transcendental meditation.  He says it works for him although I never understood that because he usually fell asleep in the process. I run and most of the time that works for me but not today.


What is my failsafe procedure for regaining my composure in times of dire stress?  I make lists.  Yes, the old tried and true method for those who want some immediate relief is list making.  What could a list do for me you say?  Well, never underestimate the power of a list.


A good and substantial list is equivalent to turning on the light in the middle of the night when you have a nightmare.  During a nightmare, you sometimes have trouble shaking the negative feelings of the dream.  In the dark, you see all kinds of "bad things" that seem to be lurking and waiting to get you.  So, we turn on the light to rid our room and our minds of the "those" that lurk.


A list is a light.  First, you need to understand that I don't list the problems.  That seems to work for some people but not me.  I list the steps I must take to solve the problems.  This is my light.  Once I sit down and write my list (and, yes, of course, I put easy things and hard things on this list) I start to see an end to the fear and stress associated with the problem.  I have an action plan to solve my issue(s).


Just making this action plan is calming but then working on completing the tasks listed makes me feel a sense of achievement.  Rather than focusing on the stressful aspects of the concern, I plunge headlong into the solution.  And just in case you are wondering whether or not I put some things I have already done on this list so I can check them off right away, wonder no more, of course I do.


Achievement is a sure cure for what ails you at least it is for me.  In one sense it keeps my mind busy and disallows the random stress thoughts that occur; in another sense it focuses my keen sense of awareness on solutions and that makes me happy.  Try it, you might just find this "cure" works for you as well.  It's better than sitting and stressing with no end in sight and you'll have a protocol for success, at least for the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment