Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 18: Happiness on the road again???

We're running around the house trying to make sure we have everything; we've closed everything; did we remember Zeffy?


On the road to NY again is happiness.  I'm glad we're going home even though Florida feels more like home than anything else.


Home is where Joe is.  Home is where Zeffy is.  Home is where I grew up.  It's going to be nice to see places and people (not in that order of course or is it?)


Places that are familiar are like great reruns on TV of favorite shows from my youth.  TV was where I lived as a kid because the real world was unpleasant to say the least and now returning to my most familiar surroundings is giving me the same warm feeling of the Andy Griffith Show,  I Love Lucy, Oh Susanna (am I old or what) and of course Gidget and The Patty Duke Show all rolled into one.


What do I need to see first?  The Verazzano Bridge, of course, since as I kid, I watched it being built (Joe and his family did too, we were probably only walking distance away from each other as children) and Joe kissed me under the bridge on a boat (yes very, very romantic) one Fourth of July.  Then I want to see all of the ordinary things, The Belt Parkway, Brooklyn (not so ordinary I guess), the Southern Parkway, Jones Beach, Robert Moses Parkway, the lighthouse.  So much will be in bloom now and we've missed a few of the plantings.


I've planned music for the entry into NY.  Special songs that remind me of home.


Thomas Wolfe was wrong;  you can go home again, over and over.  It's all right.  Places as familiar as old faces are  waiting to greet you and give you that very warm feeling...how lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment