Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 43: What are you reading me on?

If I had my way, there would be an endless supply of protected WIFI (oxymoron, I know) available everywhere in the world.  Along with billions of other users, I am now a victim of my technology but happy about it.  I get to Skype with my son (when’s he’s available) or my ex (when he’s available); work in cyberspace on multiple platforms (I use both a MAC and a Windows 7 machine) and finger my Blackberry in between.

It seems that I cannot get enough types of technology to suit me.  We are over a year away from ending our current smart phone contract and looking forward to our next phone and new service.  This stuff keeps me really busy and here I am typing my thoughts once again into cyberspace for someone (anyone?) to read and think about.

What is it about technology that is so sexy?  It must be sex that keeps us focused on these little machines; what else could make grown adults be so focused and intense with moments of exhilaration (am I getting too graphic for you?).  Technology has replaced so many other human platforms in life that I worry on occasion how long I am attached to my electric partners.  It’s gotten so bad that I put into my Google calendar when to call friends and “say hello” and arrange adult play dates…

But just the same; I am addicted to this technology and unable (unwilling) to give it up.  What’s worse, the more I investigate the technology I use; the more upkeep is necessary.  Although the downloads for upgrades are pretty regular from each of the major companies, it seems that each time we get one, especially from Microsoft, the update requires manipulation from the user; Bill Gates loves to keep me busy fixing his mistakes.

Why do I keep so many platforms to use?  Well, that’s a good question.  At one point, I needed a Windows machine for my job; there was not enough crossover software for interacting with proprietary issues (how geeky do I sound?) but now there is no excuse. 

I need to eliminate the Windows world, the Blackberry world and focus on one platform but I am afraid.   My Windows desktop is rather old in tech terms (one year old); my Mac is even considered ancient (5 years old) and my Blackberry is the youngest but most frustrating (hate those tiny buttons) and you really cannot surf the net no matter what they say.

I love the technology of the iphone (that’s why I have the itouch and the ipad (the senior citizen version of the itouch).  The screen, the colors, the vibrancy of the tool is unparalleled but no one machine fills the void enough to be “the one.”  Where is Mr. Anderson (Neo) when you need him (The Matrix reference for you non-nerds).

I guess I’ll just have to settle for enjoying my technology regardless of platform.  I’ll continue to scan the cyberspace horizons for my next purchase and I’ll spend the remainder of my time updating the existing ones , at least I’m happy…

No comments:

Post a Comment