Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 34: I believe....That it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

A good friend sent me a great email today.  I always read her emails because she is an incredible person: warm, sensitive, funny, and a good friend.  The funny part of this is we don’t have a lot of history as friends.  We were “friends” in high school (which means we walked the same hallways) and I know that she did not know the real me but more importantly, I did not know the real “her.”


She impresses me so much, the more I communicate with her, the more I read her Facebook postings, the more I see the woman she’s become.  She was probably always a great kid but I didn’t know it.  The farther I go back in time examining my life, the more I realize that I lived in my own cocoon, I guess waiting to become the butterfly I am today.  We all build a cocoon of sorts and some never emerge from the safety of their protective coverings.  I know a few people who haven’t chosen or been able to exit their cocoons and, frankly, I worry about them.  It’s difficult to put yourself “out there” I know.  If you are encrusted in your own world, you miss so much.  You need to open up to feel the real world and to allow it to embrace you.

Hurt keeps so many people inside.  Hurt is a part of life; perhaps a necessary part of life.  When I think of my successes, I am not always sure how I achieved them or whether or not I benefitted from them.  When I examine my failures, I can actually track backwards to see how and why it happened and how to grow from the experience. Growth is limited in a cocoon I would think. 

Thanks JM for being the kind of woman I can be proud to know.  Thanks for thinking I am valuable.  Thanks for being one of the many people who have assisted me in opening my cocoon and emerging a better and more delightful butterfly.  You friendship makes me happy…

No comments:

Post a Comment