Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 29: Perspective: Size does matter…

Whenever I feel overwhelmed by life, I run to the ocean.  It’s a simple matter because I need to put my life issues in perspective and the water, wind, sky and beach seem to do that for me. The ocean has many healing aspects and amusing potentials and I always need to be healed and/or entertained.

The enormity of the ocean is what I am looking to feel.  The intensity of the waves is another.  If I am lucky enough to be at the shore in a warm or summerlike climate, I can also take pleasure in the many characters (both human and other) that I observe there as well.  Here are some of my favorites:

  •           The waders: those people afraid of commitment who go only so far (ankle high) into the water and who retreat at the first sign of a contest with the water.
  •            The challengers: those people, usually teenage boys, who run unabashedly into the largest wave they can, headfirst, engulfing themselves in water with incredible smiles of achievement.
  •           The admirers: those people who never tempt the water at all but admire it from a distance.
  •             The fishermen: those people who are practical, yet challenging, waiting to take something of value from the sea; hoping for the prize; waiting for others to approach at the first sign of a catch to admire and discuss.
  •           The meek contestants: those people who confront the waves only to retreat as soon as the wave returns.


The interesting aspect of these human competitors at the beach is that they are matched by varying species of birds that are parallel to them in almost every way. 

There are the little shore birds who are the contestants running into the retreating wave for food dropped by the ocean and who have an amazing high-speed response to the returning wave (run away, run away). Then there are the gulls that wait as the admirers on the shore and who are more interested in human food options than other birds. My favorite are the pelicans who fall into the category of the challenger/fishermen dropping headlong into the waves to perhaps obtain a fish, perhaps just to land in a precarious spot, dominating the ocean as they do.

A pelican reminds me of the theory, or is it fact, that birds are the primary descendents of the dinosaurs.  They actually resemble pterodactyls as they fly over the water hunting, playing, grouping.  They are graceful yet dominating in their flying patterns. However, when they finally land somewhere other than the ocean, say on a pole at the dock, they lose that dominance and appear, in my opinion, rather silly with their oversized heads and beaks; it’s all in the point of view, isn’t it?

It’s wonderful how the world ignores me as I observe and record these images; how small and insignificant I actually am. This is part of the perspective that heals my mind and spirit at the ocean. I need to realize how insignificant my problems are from time to time; to understand that what’s happening in my head is inconsequential to the larger world around me; to see the rest of the world in its magnificence in contrast to me; to realize that I may be viewed as silly after gaining a new perspective. It’s nice to laugh at oneself or in spite of oneself.

And finally, if I am lucky enough, I get to the ocean on a windy, wild weather day where the waves are large and pounding the shore creating a more challenging environment for all. The violence of the ocean is calming to me, what does that say about me?  The wind whips my mind into silence; the deafening waves quiet my brain; and the laughter of people all around rights my heart.

There are always ways to feel better and I am glad I have learned this, finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment