Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 44: I cheat …

Diets are daily challenges but there’s a reason most people cannot follow them…it requires humans to change their behaviors and that is nearly impossible.  We all look in the mirror and make resolutions especially after a bigger meal and even bigger dessert.  We are firm in our belief that this is the end of our bad behavior but then the next day comes and our memories are weak and our resolve even more so.

Why is this so?  Why can’t we just do it, like Nike says?  Human beings are emotional boats in rough seas and we are subject to our most inner weaknesses; we’re a veritable house of cards waiting to be blown down by the smallest breeze.  I think we, as a group, are also too flexible and believe there is always another day, fiddle Dee Dee.

Changing behavior requires a strict or nearly strict observance of change, a determination that requires an open and clear focus.  We have to keep it in our consciousness, a very frontal lobe kind of thing. 

The older I get, the more I realize that my body is no longer under warranty and that any changes or modifications are up to the owner; so what’s the problem?

First of all, we are clearly creatures of habit; before I can do anything, I am in the kitchen warming up my homepage and waiting patiently for Joe to make coffee. This is all done without thinking…it’s protocol in the morning.  I like to tell people, don’t talk to me until I have had my coffee but that’s not really true, I can talk, walk, and even write before coffee on occasion.

Secondly, at 59, I think I am already “cooked.” At the most I can be “reheated” but the meal cannot be changed at this point or can it? 

Thirdly, how much of my day is spent on automatic pilot rather than with real focus and determination.  Hours and minutes are like savings accounts, if you don’t put anything into them, they don’t grow.

I believe that I can make changes in my life;  I am living proof of this but saying no to my inner child who wants that ice cream from Ralph’s is a lot harder than saying no to the adult that peacefully coexists in my head.  We’re all too permissive with our children (our inner ones and outer ones);oh well,  I need to detox from all of the sugar, ice cream, and cake I ate yesterday….today…I’ll be good, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. i agree and continue to wonder why this is such a hard thing to do. on paper is seems so simple to lose weight....i enjoyed your thoughts on a topic i spend a lot of time pondering....and sometimes tackling this very challenge with varying degrees of success. in later blogs i read you have lost weight and your clothes are too small... WOW....That's great. On my vacations...i've found of a few of the pounds i thought i said goodbye to for good.... Here i go again...Thanks for the inspirations...love, mt

    ReplyDelete