Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 21:What Buffy the Vampire slayer taught me…

For those of you who are out of the syndicated loop, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a popular TV program a few years ago that lasted 7 seasons or was it 8?  Buffy, our heroine was selected by the fates (those godlike creatures that really run the spiritual ship) to be a slayer of demons.  It seems that to every generation a new slayer (16 year old girl) (cue music) was born to stem the tide of evil creatures who attempt to sneak out of hell to, of course, raise hell.  What a premise:  the fate of good and evil in the hands of a once vapid 16 year old from California.

To every advertiser’s surprise, this program was particularly popular with women in the 50-65 age grouping and I was one of them.  Why would I want to watch such a story?  After reading this statistic (and I believe it is true from my personal survey of me), I began to examine why I connected with this show so much. This effort of self evaluation was a learning experience which I am happy to share.

Here are a few of my observations….

1.   Buffy was unbeatable; although she was regularly beaten up by ferocious monsters of the male and female variety; she was unstoppable and totally dedicated to her role. (Wouldn’t it be nice to know that you could not be defeated in your battle of good and evil, even though it hurt a bit?)

2.   Buffy was flippant about her position and fate in life; she was filled with caustic and sometimes sophomoric responses that she prepared for her encounters with pure evil. (I have always wanted to have that perfect retort ready to aim at my evil doers, haven’t you?)


3.   Buffy was surrounded by a few close friends but no matter how they helped her individually and put their lives on the line; she was the chosen one who had the final battle for the sake of the world. (Isn’t this one clear?)  No matter how much your friends are there to battle for you and with you; you are the ultimate singular fighter of your own demons.

4.   Buffy had a unique skill; she was one hell of a fighter but was alone in her responsibility, heavy lies the head that wears the crown.  There was no one who could copy or emulate her talents. (We’re all one of a kind; is that an oxymoron?)


This last factor is the most significant for me because this is what Buffy really taught me.  Those of us born with extra armor and who believe we are the chosen one(s) (for good or evil purposes) think that we are alone and not capable of getting real assistance from those around us.  Buffy was selected to be the “the chosen one” and was expected to stay in that position until she died or so the legend said. 

Our heroine, cleverly, came up with a new revelation (especially since she didn’t want to die just to retire from her chosen role). What if she shared her power mystically with all the “potential” chosen ones out there so that she did not have to fight this battle alone? And so with a little help from her friends and some witchcraft, her power spread throughout the world and suddenly, young women all over the world awoke with superhuman strength, power, understanding, and solidarity.  And she did this all without the internet….

People ask me why I write this blog everyday. The answer is simple:  I do this so I can understand myself better; however, if I teach someone something else at the same time; mores the better and that makes me happy.  Go watch Buffy; you’ll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment