Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 40: How many colors can you see in a sunrise?

The colors of the world are astounding and in my mind cannot be duplicated by any mere human.  As a closet artist, I like to paint but I don’t; I like to sculpt but I don’t and I marvel at the natural art all around me.

What is it about nature that she has such a startling and accurate brush that fluctuates day by day?  It doesn’t matter whether or not the day begins with rain and the raindrops becomes small magnifying glasses for the art already displayed or the day begins with sunshine and the dizzying colors that are highlighted by the sun; nature has developed an exceptional artist’s hand in whatever she displays. What makes Nature so unique is that she doesn't mind all levels of her art; she displays her successes as well as her failures in all their magnificence.


Years ago, I attempted to try my hand at art with both painting and sculpting.  Getting my hand to obey my mind was more than just a challenge, it was nearly impossible.  What I saw in my mind was clear and exact; getting my hands to produce the same image was fuzzy and inexact.

Now my family “might” say that I am being too hard on myself that my attempts at art development were pleasant and acceptable but they could never see what I saw in my mind; what I was really attempting to create and the frustration that ensued from uncooperative hands.

I am grateful for the fact that I have an “eye” in my mind as to what I would like to recreate in an art form.  Some people tell me that this is half the battle and that art is the result of the struggle between the hand and the mind but I am a stubborn individual and this answer is unacceptable.  Talent, I have learned, is more about control than I would have thought.

I get a lot of questions from people about writing a daily blog and how I can keep up with this act of contrition (for that is what it is at times).  My art, writing, requires no real effort for me.  It just flows from my fingers with no real difficulty and I am grateful and lucky that this is true.

Art, some say, is evaluated by the eye of the beholder but there are some consistencies as to what most of us consider as real art.   It’s easy to ignore the art around us, the art within us, and the art of our lives.  Opening your eyes is half the battle, opening your heart is essential; being conscious and cognizant is the most imperative.  Enjoy the colors….

No comments:

Post a Comment