Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 25: Zeffy Part Deux: Why does Your Pet look or act like you? I resemble that remark…

Zeffy, my delightful poodle love child (got him when Joe and I first started dating), has a distinct combination of traits from his mother (me) and his father (Joe).  Yes I know, he is not our biological son but he is our son just the same; nature versus nurture?

Zeffy is the purest description of devotion (takes after his mother, I assure you).  He sees the world as his special place and he is in charge of this world. 
Zeffy, however, is a love stealer.  What is a love stealer?  Well, as soon as he hears happiness or laughter or any signs of cuddling or togetherness, he runs to us to “steal” the moment.  He is just joining in you say?  Hardly, Zeffy is stealing the moment because he wants all of the attention and love showered on him that is emanating from us.  This is true I expect for a lot of families with an only one child (my son and Joe’s daughter are exceptions please.)

Zeffy is effervescent.  He can go literally for hours playing with his toys, retrieving, shaking the toy for being badly behaved when it goes astray; over and over again with no end in sight.  There is no limit to his energy or the smiles he engenders. When toys are in short supply, the hand or foot game will do whereby he gently attacks either and growls affectionately. He has a great imagination for sure.

When at rest, Zeffy must have a paw on your arm or foot; he must be touching you in some manner.  I really believe that he does this more for me than for himself. This is a rather nice trait and one which gives me a warm feeling from seeing (or feeling) it each day.

Zeffy, also, has anger issues (which he inherited from both parents, maybe more one than the other?) Zeffy has an early and late warning system built into him.  Regardless of the place or event, if he smells, hears, or feels danger, he responds with a sound that can only be equated to high pitched scream that says, “Come near me and I’ll bludgeon you!”  As harsh as that sounds, you have to hear it to understand that I am accurate in my description. Maybe this is because he is so small and vulnerable (short man’s complex?) but whatever the reason, this screech of his is beyond reason and startling to all. 

The amusing point is, as soon as, the “danger” (which may be a knock at the door) is replaced with a human face or an animal smaller than he is (not too often), he becomes the friendliest of all animals in the kingdom.  He welcomes all into his home graciously even if he has never seen them before…good watch dog…

Zeffy makes me think a lot about my own behavior and happiness.  It takes so little to make him joyful and he alerts me, as the love stealer, when I am clearly displaying happiness tendencies.  One of the most distinct factors that I have learned about myself by doing this blog is that I have been happy on a regular basis although woefully unaware of my apparent bliss. 

Zeffy is a happiness barometer; we could all use one to assist us in becoming cognizant of our good feelings.  Get yourself a Zeffy and be happy or at least recognize when you are so… As Joe always says, give credit where credit is due.  Thanks Zeffy!

No comments:

Post a Comment