Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 36: The internet is a slam book…

I saw my first slam book in the fourth grade.  For those of you who do not know, a slam book was a simple composition book with a listing of numbers in the front page from say 1 to one hundred where you signed your name.  This gave you permission to then comment on the people in the following pages who were listed by name.  Usually the people you made comments on were the same people who signed the front of the book (it used to be a rule).  You made a brief comment and then signed your assigned number under the comment. These books were ruled illegal by the school teachers and were, in fact, confiscated by them on regular occasions, much to our dismay (my first experience with contraband). 



Since we did not have back packs then, only book bags, if was difficult to put these slam books away in a hurry and so we regularly got caught and were reprimanded for possessing them.  What was so bad about these comments in the slam book?  In those days, the 50’s, we did not say really bad things about people.  Our comments were very “white bread” in nature and usually consisted of things like, “talks too much, good dancer, or too tall”.  Well it was the fourth grade, what were you expecting?

I can only remember one comment about me and I loved it.  Someone, number 49, said I was a “good dancer.”   Before I could look up who number 49 was, the teacher snatched the book.  I was heartbroken.  What if number 49 was a boy?  Oh well, I’ll never know but this was harmless, silly fun and it was a chance to share some inner thoughts with a few documented friends.

Now the internet is the largest slam book I could ever have imagined.  The only problem is that it is filled with not so “white bread” comments that will last for time perpetuity.  Most people get on the internet to rant and rave about what they don’t like.  Very few get on to say how happy they are (except me of course.)  It’s difficult to find positive comments about things.  Have you ever tried shopping for a new appliance and have scanned to read reviews about them?  All of the happy contented people are absent from the reviews.  Most people hate the product, are sorry they ever laid eyes on it and warn you to avoid this product at all costs.

There are no boundaries on the internet; no where you are responsible to leave your name so you can be held accountable for your comments so you are encouraged to say anything, no matter how damaging or hurtful and move on.  This is unfortunate because people read the internet comments you make and assume there is some truth in what is said.  What I have come to surmise is this:  if you are happy with something, you say nothing, if you unhappy you say too much.  So let’s put a statistic on this:  if there are 12 negative comments on a product or person, let us assume there are 82 positive ones unwritten because that is how it goes.

I am sure there may have been a negative comment or two about me in the slam book of fourth grade.  I was extremely skinny and very toothy.  All I can remember is “good dancer” because the book is gone and so is my negative memory of it.  Shouldn’t the internet be the same way?  Have a happy father’s day to all….especially to my Joe and Jimbeau.  May your memories be only good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment