Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 32: Gravitate towards, never run from…

Gravity is an interesting concept; it’s what keeps our feet on the ground (yet what keeps our minds grounded)? I’ve always liked the idea of something holding me carefully onto the earth, some invisible godlike force gently keeping me from floating off into space.  It seems that science or God did a good job when it came to this and other factors that make this rock of a planet a home for all of the special creatures, me included.

Science has taught us many facts, gravity being just one, but I have learned that the older I get, the more science can seem to explain away many of the former secrets in life that other concepts, such as religion, once were the primary answer. However, this world is too organized and interwoven for it to be an accident or simply the result of evolutionary processes in my opinion.  Although I clearly understand evolution, there is still so much that is unaccounted for when you look at the big picture.  How did all of this life come together in such a balanced harmony?  How is it that we can ruin so much of this earth and yet it continues to heal itself from our sins? How does this work?

I’m really a simple person and I think most people are as well. I know that when it’s cloudy I’m sad (seasonal affective disorder, I’m told) and when it’s sunny I’m happy.  This is why Florida is sooooo good for me although it is considered “God’s waiting room” I don’t mind because there are so many sunny days and that makes me happy.

I know that when I am with someone I love (or like a lot), I am contented simply by their closeness; that even without talking, we can share a special space created by our nearness. Why are human beings so affected by both proximity and touch?

Why is the olfactory sense such a keen memory holder? I appreciate the scent of honeysuckle in the morning when I run, in fact, it is intoxicating and I marvel how it can throw my mind back to positive memories of the past when as a child I gathered honeysuckle to eat as we walked the back farms on Long Island.  I remember playing with my sister, fantasizing about what we would be as adults (if we ever made it and we did) and playing marvelous imaginary games as we walked through the mostly untrodden pathways. 

I remember going to ride other people’s horses bareback as we snuck onto their properties never thinking about what we would do if we were ever caught and never showing any concern for the fact that we really didn’t know how to ride horses at that point of our lives.

I understand that life is cycles of do, rinse, repeat: that we all end of where we began and that we have a tendency to evolve ourselves however slowly yet retain the purest essence of who we are in our souls.

Life is a good and pure concept, one we shouldn’t waste or ignore. The sun is calling me now forcing me to smile at its brilliance.  This is going to be a great day, gravity is holding onto me; Joe is holding on to me, and I get to see wonderful friends today, what could make anyone happier?

No comments:

Post a Comment