Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 48: One no trump for dessert please

Cards are a favorite of mine, as games go. I find many games irresistible; all types, but I really love cards the most. I am fond of all of the varieties.  I play them online (against and with other players), on the desktop (alone) and I play as many different versions as I can.  Although I play mostly solitaire, I would rather be playing group card events if given the option. 

I started my love of cards with Pinochle in college where at 3 in the morning I learned a lot about myself and my ability to strategize.  I then moved on to hearts and finally graduated to the big time with Bridge.

I like a game with strategy, challenge, and a high potential of losing.  Yes, if the game is too easy, I have no interest in it.  It’s not that I like to lose, that’s not it at all; I always prefer winning but if the win ratio is too high; I move on and won’t play that particular game again because there is no challenge.

I like strategy; I like trying different moves to see the result as I am playing.  I am all about the “if this then that” concept.  I like applying my knowledge from one game to the next to see if what I’ve learned was an aberration or a truth for that particular game.  I like being fooled by the game and realizing that I may not have learned anything from previous ventures.  (I am actually smiling right now thinking of this.)

There is something lost for me transitioning from the old fashioned way of playing cards to the electronic versions. I have to say that I miss holding cards in my hand; laying them on the table whether or not I am playing a solitaire or a group game.  I count cards and suits in my head; which can be very annoying to other players.  I remember whether or not a card had been played in a round and I like doubling or watching others attempting to renege on a suit.  Am I getting too technical for you?

What is it about playing the game of cards that is so alluring to me?  I would have to say the facility of being able to play it anytime, anywhere, either alone or in a group is a big plus.  This is why there are so many of us out there; playing all of the time throughout the day.  We can play on our smart phones, iPads, desktops; you can buy electronic versions that play only cards…the choices are endless. 

Human minds like being busy, engaged in an active mental pursuit.  Our brains are always searching for something to keep them from being fallow as a field without seeds.  Cards, like chess and other strategy games, activate our excitement centers in the brain and I know why.  There is always the possibility of no two games resulting in the same ending; there is always the chance that the game will end differently.  This is irresistible to the mind and so is most gaming.

Gaming involves chance and sometimes skill. You always have to remember that the deck is always stacked against you in reality.  But, if the brain thinks it has a chance to beat the system, it will try and the result is fun…it is alluring.  It’s better than dessert…

No comments:

Post a Comment