Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 52: Boy can I clean…

I clean when I’m upset. This is an accurate barometer for my emotions.  In the last few years, my home has been a little less pristine which means, I guess, that I’m not as upset as I used to be.

I like cleaning and I’m good at it.  I find it methodical and you see immediate results which often please everyone in your environment.  Scrubbing has such a positive effect on me.  I like the smells, the feeling of scrubbing, and the result. Putting your emotion into a hard sponge and returning a sink to white and clean settles my mind and heart.

I know that many of you will disagree with me about how “fun” cleaning is but to me it is, just that, fun.  I start with a plan for the room I am working in and work “around the clock” as I was taught by Hints to Heloise so many years ago.  The idea is that you work around the room as the hands of a clock turn on the dial.  This makes you seem more efficient and gives you a dramatic plan for being effective as well.

Cleaning brings a new feeling to your home and your mind.  Very often, my mind gets cluttered and uncomfortable.  Literally,  I think too much and I analyze things too much.  I allow small facts to derail my better thoughts and I need a way to exorcise these bad feelings from my system.

Some of you might ask why running, such a complete body and mind event, doesn’t do this for me but the answer is simple.  Running makes you think more, it doesn’t wipe your mind clear.  I need to parallel the process of wiping my mental hard drive and making me feel clean.

This morning, I am cleaning, I need to and it feels right.  I am enjoying returning the shine to my home; straightening my mind and the room I’m in.  I m returning the freshness and creating a positive and inviting atmosphere…and that’s just to my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment