Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 64: Color My World

Each day, I dress for a color, do you?  I check my emotional pulse and then I dress for the color I feel.  Colors are particularly important to me and like other animals on earth; my color choice says a lot about me.

Bold colors say I ready for anything, just ask me!  I like the strong colors of purple, bright blue, red and bright yellow to show others that I am ready for playing.  My color choice seems to correspond to the amount of sunshine outside (coincidence, no).  The brighter the day, the more I want to add to the ambience of the moment.

Darker days both outside and inside my head draw me towards the black clothes (of which I have too many) to demonstrate my feelings. Pink says I’m playful; silly maybe; feeling up and bouncy. Orange and blue mean simply it’s a Mets day and I’m ready for the game. 

There is a regional colorization to different parts of the United States that I have noticed.  New Yorkers wear black as a standard even on the hottest of days in the dead of summer.  It says beware and I’m tough or simply don’t mess with me.  Floridians wear pastels all year even though the winter may be cool which says I’m laid back; think I’ll go lounge by the pool.  Californians seem to wear mixed colors probably left over from the 60’s which many of them have not had the sense to leave behind.I call this the tie dye effect.  People from the western states have a myriad of denim colors too numerous to mention which says, I can rope you a steer, even though many of them have never even touched one.

Regional colors are the most interesting because they address the collective consciousness of the environment as well as the individual pleasures of the person and many people seem to stay within their range even after they move from their home base.  When I’m in Florida, I can always tell a New Yorker who’s either visiting or transplanted…the ever present black outfit.  And I don’t need to look at license plates to tell someone from Florida in New York; it’s strikingly opposite and contrary to the environment.  Maybe this is why so many of them get picked off by thieves and pickpockets.

Although I am aware of this dressing scenario, I assure you the selection of the colors I wear is much more subliminal than you might think.  I believe this ritual of color selection is closely associated with other animals in the kingdom.  It is a colorized warning system for all to observe.

It’s a good idea to understand what we project to others even before we open our mouths. People are conditioned to respond to colors with emotion and intellect. I think today, I’ll wear yellow and head to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment