Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 71: We are a prism of distinction; what colors are you made of?

So much of what we do as human beings is reflected in the prism of our personal growth. We are colorful descriptions of a lifetime of interaction with others and growth or lack thereof within ourselves.  In some cases, our growth may have been stopped or stunted as a result of a negative experience or a shortened life experience.  In other cases, our colors have developed into full spectrum displays dazzling others as we live each day.

When I look at people, I look for their colors and I think others do this as well consciously or unconsciously.  We seem to connect more easily to those with pleasing colors and we recoil from those with contrasting or harsh colors.  If colors are experiences than I guess we tend to look for those with similar experiences to bond with.

Growing up I could honestly say that I never had the parents I needed and in my father’s case (wanted).  I lived in an elaborate fantasy world to make up for the dearth of color in my life.  I clung to books and television to seek mental places to go and lived in a world of my choosing.  As a result, I find that I retreat to this world whenever my colors dim or start to fade. This is my island of repair; when I gain my strength and color back, I return to the real world, ready to take on what life has to offer. Life can be so confusing at times for all of us.  We see but we don’t understand; we believe but we are not sure why.

Those people who refuse to recolor their lives when they get dim with the dust of life may not realize what signals they are sending to others. Their lack of life rejuvenation is a warning to those around them like the thorns on a plant. I have two friends in opposite parts of life’s color spectrum right now.  One should be disabled by her life’s situation and she isn’t, the other shouldn’t be and is.  The difference is simple for me: one is ready to continue living and wants a vibrant life around her; the other is content to be morose and watch her colors continue to fade.

We all encounter life issues that work us over and leave us weak and troubled.  Life is like that. What is most important is that we regain our footing; start with adding one color to your repertoire at a time and move on from there.  I suggest pink…it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment