Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 75: My happiness toolbox

Happiness requires effort and commitment every day of your life.  This sounds like a negative but it isn’t; think of your happiness like a good diet or weight loss regimen.  It requires a conscious effort and you must plan for it.

Some people by nature are not as happy as others for several reasons but mostly it comes down to nature or nurture I’m sure.  If you’re not a regularly happy person and believe me I know people who are, then you need to plan for your happiness.

Happiness, I have found, is clearly attainable regardless of the daily pitfalls and roadblocks out there to derail us.  You need to have your toolbox ready to ensure that you can counter the negative feelings that may emerge.  My happiness toolbox is filled with the necessary implements for righting my moody ship that may be tossing in the wind of despair.  You must have them at the ready to ensure a quick recovery or else you may need more assistance than simply regaining your balance.

Because my unhappiness can be caused by multiple issues and multiple people with whom I regularly interact, I have collected a variety of tools that can get me back when I need to.  What’s nice about these “tools” is that they are not obvious to others.

Some of them come from the advice of others like my sister or my best friends.  My sister knows how I love music so she tells me to sing a familiar song in my head to combat the negativity.  This actually works quite well however the louder the negativity, the louder I have to sing.  My best friend told me to keep a special picture of me looking happy on my cell to see what I need to look like to emulate the picture.  This, also, has worked.

What probably works best is to start the day, each day, with a plan to do something I really like so that when I encounter a negative force, I have something to look forward to.  It’s like eating your vegetables first…

Today will be a particularly difficult one for me and I am so ready to enjoy myself at its conclusion.  I will start with dressing up and looking fabulous so that even if the day gets over on me, I will look marvelous when it happens.  Then after the “event” I will be wending my way to walk a familiar path of my childhood to visit some old and dear friends.

We all encounter negative days; that’s life.  It’s how we react to them; whether or not we let them take us over or we stay in control is the key. Enjoy this lovely day;  I will after the “event”

No comments:

Post a Comment