Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 68: Remarkable People who don’t know it

I have met some noteworthy people in my time; the ones I like the best are the ones who don’t how amazing they are.   Some of them are talented naturally; others are schooled in their special skill (which does not detract from their talent at all.)

When I meet someone for the first time, there can be a human spark of understanding for me, a rare and exceptional occurrence.  I don’t always know why this happens but it does with certain people.  It’s like I get a preview of who they are and it is almost always a great feeling when this occurs. 

When I was 15, I met a young man who was different in this way with a special skill that emanated from him almost like sunlight behind a picture.  He approached me one day and I saw this sensitivity, warmth and toughness all at the same time. He talked but I couldn’t really listen because his “light” was too mesmerizing and inconsistent with his words. He was ordinary and extraordinary at the same time and he was totally unaware of this uniqueness and still is even at 59 years of age.

He is a documentary film maker now.  He has spent his life noticing things that other people need to see.  He has a special eye and mind that see details in snapshots of time.  He has no idea though how exceptional he is. 

When we speak from time to time, it’s like we’re 15 again which is fun and disconcerting at the same time.  He is so youthful that he borders on a level of maturity that is baffling but when he reaches into his brilliant part; his archival mentalist viewpoint, he stands as a giant among men.

People who possess these skills are daunting to speak with on any occasion but people who represent such a dichotomy are inexplicable and enjoyable and stimulating all at once. It’s like going on a ride at an amusement fair: thrilling, brief, but leaving you wanting for more.

His youthful exuberance matched with his serious eye towards detection of the human condition make him exceptional. He is a rare youthful personality that will never grow old and talking with him on occasion makes me feel the same way.  I am lucky to have met him. Thanks JC for being you and letting me see the light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment