Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 74: Doo Whop…

Music has always meant so much to me.  It has been the soundtrack to my life.  I appreciate the quality and tone of the music as much as the lyrics.  Now that I have lived nearly 60 years, I am especially appreciative of the singers from my youth who are still around and still providing quality concerts; especially ones in small venues where you feel the intimacy of the situation.

Tonight is Doo Whop in Brooklyn, New York.  What could be better than such a concert under the stars in Coney Island?  To me, Coney Island was made to be a center for entertainment of all kinds.  Whether or not you are watching “Shoot the Freak” on the boardwalk (which is sadly leaving), grabbing a dog from Nathan’s for dinner with (80 year old grease) or simply people watching, Coney Island is the place you must see and be.

When I returned to Brooklyn 6 years ago, I found so much of it looking the same yet so much of it was clearly different.  It was like the picture frame had stayed the same but the picture changed:  new people, new languages, new buildings here and there but the essence of Brooklyn has remained.  Coney Island is that section of Brooklyn that is a tintype of itself; a microcosm of old Brooklyn.  You still see the senior citizens hanging out on the boardwalk playing bocce ball (along side some recent immigrants playing Hip Hop music).  You are sure to notice the couples strolling arm in arm slowly talking about life as they go.  The children are everywhere asking for cotton candy, wanting to play the games of chance or ride the rides.  The rides have changed but they are still rides, the boardwalk is new (thank goodness) but it is still the boardwalk.  People still go to see others and be seen by others.  It is still a small town unto itself.

Tonight I will see “The Teenagers” (minus Frankie Limon of course) and they will be amazing.  When I close my eyes, their voices will carry me back to “old Brooklyn.”  When I open my eyes, I’ll be in Coney Island enjoying the sights of today’s Brooklyn, how great is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment